Thursday, February 26, 2015

Am I Missing Something?

Admittedly I have not read every bit of the 5th edition Player's Handbook in detail. So my question is, did I miss the section detailing the rules for characters to create scrolls and potions?

I also have not cracked open my Dungeon Master's Guide so it is likely -that- is where I would find the information.

Call me lazy, just don't call me late for dinner.

This came up Sunday while another player and I were car-pooling to CaptCorajus' game. We had been discussing the creation of a handful of scrolls by the party wizard and realized that neither of us had read the rules for doing such a thing.

Throughout the different editions of the game, creation of magic items by Player Characters has not always been a certainty. I don't recall the specifics of each edition, and at the moment am more interested in a nice long nap than digging out the rule books for umpteen versions to determine the specifics for comparison.

During the drive to the game we discussed the idea of having scrolls made to trade to other wizards in exchange for spells they know that the party wizard does not already have in her spell book, and for occasions when she is otherwise bereft of available spell slots due to having cast her allotment for the day.

It also occurred that with higher level spells she is not yet capable of casting, when she reaches the appropriate character level she could already have the information on hand and ready to copy into her spell book.

While the adventuring party in the Capt's campaign has accumulated a great deal of magical gear, I don't recall much in the way of scrolls and potions. That is somewhat odd compared to most of the earlier editions of the game and I'm not certain if that is intended in the 5th edition or a DM decision.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember reading something that heavily implied that though magic items exist, they are rarer than before, and that the creation (and indeed buying) of magical items in the "present day" is so rare as to be non-existent. Now I think about it, it might have been the "Building the Core" video on YouTube, where the game designers discussed 5th Edition.