Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Swords & Wizardry Appreciation Day (post 1 of 2)

Let's get this party started (on the road to a TPK).

If you decide to check out the rules for Swords and Wizardry today is your lucky day. Not only is the System Rules Document online at www.d20swsrd.com , but there are two sets of discount codes should you decide to buy copies.

The first is the one from Frog God Games (SWApprDay) and is good for 25% off today only on all Swords & Wizardry products over $1, except the following: S&W cards, Pre-Orders, and subscriptions.

The second is from the SRD store (SWAD252013) where you can buy pdfs only.

Tell them The Dice Are A Lie and OSRbaron sent you.

Erik Tenkar of Tenkar's Tavern thought it might be a neat idea to hold a number of appreciation days for various OSR systems to try and make more people aware of what is available. I think that is a nifty idea and chose to join in on this one because I, until now, only knew the name not the details contained within Swords & Wizardry.

Having taken a look here is what I discovered . . .

Swords and Wizardry Complete (the rules I was looking over) is very close to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition. It is built on the earlier basic framework from the various boxed sets and includes some classes from supplements.

Since I'm getting most of my info from the SRD page and not a book or pdf I will address it from that point of view,

Something very nice that I like is the tables for both traditional THACO style combat style and the ascending armor class attack values. This helps open the game up for ease of play to people unfamiliar or more comfortable with one or the other method.

What SW Complete is not is a reproduction of AD&D1e. It lacks a couple of the races and classes you would need for a close clone of 1e.

As a Labyrinth Lord player/DM, and someone looking for bits and pieces I can scavenge from various systems to try and build my personal Holy Grail system, S&W Complete looks to have some stuff I can borrow.

The Swords & Wizardry rules are worth a look. Within are a lot of things old-school players and DMs will find comfortably familiar.

In my next post on the topic I will mention a few things I find interesting and for me a few things pro and con.

No comments: