Wednesday, February 29, 2012

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Wow, the amount of anti-grognard/anti-OSR hate I have been encountering on some of the D&D forums lately is staggering. It's like the 4e crowd are afraid we're coming to steal their candy.

Hell some of them (who may or may not be 4e fans) are so touchy that even mentioning the idea that the designers might want to refresh themselves of all the good literature in the famous Appendix N from the 1eDMG sets off a firestorm of protest. Some even suggested that they should instead stick with the more recent couple decades of fantasy literature. Frankly, they should do both.

If you're one of these folks, chill out. Predators can smell fear and you are giving off the scent of a big snack. None of us old farts will be any use fending off the wolves that are coming to devour you. Besides, we don't want to rob you of "your precious".



I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am not anti-4e. It has some good things in it, but it just doesn't suit my personal tastes. Got that? Good.

Now to address some of my fellow old-schoolers in the blogosphere. There are some who do come off seeming to be anti-4e. If you don't like it, fine, but please remember, others do and like I tell them, there is no single correct way to enjoy D&D.

3 comments:

Bighara said...

HERESY!!

-1000xp :-p

Aaron E. Steele said...

I've all but written off all further attempts at "engagement" with 4E fans. There are 100's of rpgs out there, I find it laughable their insular perspective on what makes for a good game, considering many have played few, or no, other games.

Good for them that they like 4E.

They are like the ketchup lovers that have never tried another condiment. No matter how much you try to convince them that mustard would also taste good with that ham, they keep slathering on the ketchup.

StevenWarble said...

@ Aaron: I agree with what you said, just directed to the OSR crowd as well. It's great that someone has played BX for 30 years... good for them... but "3d6 in order" and "descending AC" are not requirements for "true D&D" as if such a thing existed.

I see just as much parochial incoherent knee-jerk anger in the OSR-only crowd as I do in the 4E-only crowd.